Explore small business insurance resources + Insights
Stay up to date on emerging industry treands and topics
the COVID Crisis
Box truck insurance is customizable commercial auto coverage for box truck drivers and their businesses.
Assurance Total Protection, a local agent for Progressive Commercial, offers tailored box and straight truck coverages for owner operators and for-hire truckers to protect them on and off the road.
Businesses that need box truck insurance
Many types of business require box truck insurance for risks associated with long and short-haul trucking. The most common industries include:
- Delivery for hire and courier services
- Distributors / wholesalers warehouse operations
- Retail operations like furniture stores
Smaller companies might also use box trucks. For example, a bakery might own a box truck that it uses to transport products to local clients.
Your profession — along with your driving history, typical travel radius and cargo — can impact your box truck insurance cost.
Types of box and straight trucks
Box trucks can go by different names depending on the type of cargo or use. Progressive Commercial insures the following types of box trucks:
- Cargo cutaway
- Ice box
- Moving truck
- Reefer truck
- Sleeper box
- Tilt cab
Typical box truck insurance coverages
Typical box truck insurance coverage depends on whether you carry your own products or are a for-hire trucker.
Private carriers might need to purchase basic box truck insurance coverages, such as:
- Liability insurance, which can cover injuries or damage to people or property if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Physical Damage coverage, which protects your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident.
If you’re a for-hire trucker owner-operator and you ride under another companies’ authority that provides Primary Liability insurance, you may only need to purchase bobtail box truck insurance coverages, including:
- Non-Trucking Liability insurance or bobtail, which covers your truck when you aren’t under dispatch.
- Motor Truck Cargo insurance in some rare cases, which protects the goods you’re hauling.
The standard coverages options are liability insurance, collision insurance, comprehensive insurance, medical coverage, uninsured/underinsured insurance. In addition to the standard coverages we offer, we offer many specialty trucking coverages including:
- Motor Truck Cargo Insurance
- Motor Truck General Liability Insurance
- Non-Trucking Liability Insurance
- Physical Damage Coverage
- Rental Reimbursement with Downtime
- Trailer Interchange Insurance
Let the box truck insurance experts at Assurance Total Protection and Progressive assess your box truck insurance needs and get you the type of coverage you deserve.